Shipping Policy: Due to the length of study time necessary to prepare for actuarial exams, the goal of ACTEX Learning and Mad River Books is to get your books to you as quickly as possible so that you may begin your studies. Orders where all items are in-stock normally ship within 1 business day. Orders received after 12pm Eastern will likely ship on the following business day. Please see below for detailed shipping information.
IMPORTANT: applicable duties and taxes are the responsibility of the consignee. All Customers/consignees receiving international shipments are responsible for all duties and taxes necessary to receive your package. Orders that are refused delivery for non-payment of fees are considered abandoned; abandoned orders will not be refunded. If a shipment is refused and is shipped back to our warehouse, customers are responsible for the extra shipping costs for return shipping. Mad River Books reserves the right to adjust shipping charges to reflect actual cost. ACTEX Learning/Mad River Books does not earn a profit on our customers’ shipping fees.
Please verify that your address is correct including suite or apartment numbers. Do not enter any information into the "company" field unless the package is being sent to a business address. Incorrect addresses often result in undeliverable packages or delays and can result in additional fees for address correction.
TELEPHONE: (860) 379-5470 -or- (800) 282-2839
FAX: (860) 738-3152
Frequently Asked Questions
Orders Shipping Within the United States
- In-stock orders shipping within the Continental U.S. going to a residential address and under 10lbs may be offered Economy shipping, at a rate of $8.95, for delivery likely 1-2 days longer than Standard shipping.
- Standard shipping normally takes 1-5 business days in transit. This does not include weekends, holidays, or warehouse processing time of 1-2 business days. Orders with all items in-stock will normally ship within 1 business day. In-stock orders received after 12 p.m. Eastern may not be processed or shipped until the following day.
- Shipping guaranteed for faster delivery in the US will be offered upon checkout. Note that only in-stock items are eligible for faster shipping guarantees. Back-orders that are partial shipped will send all but the original package by Standard service. Call customer service for pricing and availability.
- We are unable to ship to a PO, APO or FPO Box. During quiet times of the year, special accommodations may be possible, so please contact customer service.
- Orders shipping to Connecticut and Kentucky will be charged state sales tax. Orders being shipped to Connecticut will be charged a 6.35% state sales tax of physical products and 1% sales tax for some digital products. Orders being shipped to Kentucky will be charged a 6.0% state sales tax on physical products.
- Saturday is not considered a standard business day for estimated shipping transit times. Customers requesting special Saturday delivery will be charged additional fees.
- Shipping can be delayed by forces of nature, weekends, holidays or other events outside of our control; neither ACTEX/Mad River Books nor the shipping company are responsible for these ‘delays’; the customer is responsible for noting the impact that events surrounding the timeframe of their order may have and to plan accordingly.
Orders Shipping to Canada
- Minimum shipment charge of $31.95 USD on all Canadian orders. Canadian and other international orders will be charged actual costs as designated by the carrier. No minimum order sizes.
- Our shipping methods to Canada are Canada Standard with an expected delivery within 2-6 business days, International Expedited (1-3 business days), or International Express (1-2 business days). International Expedited and Express shipment methods include customs-cleared delivery - saving our customers significant time and expense.
- Note: Goods you import may be subject to GST, VAT or other similar taxes (especially on large orders). GST and VAT are typically calculated on the local currency dollar value of the goods, including duty and excise tax, and are collected at the border the same time as these duties. The customer is responsible for paying the tax on imported goods, which is calculated and charged to most customers at checkout. Any customer or business that has been approved to ship using their own shipping account is responsible for any charge back costs, including duties, taxes, address corrections, etc. Please note that any additional duties, taxes, or other fees are the responsibility of the customer and are not included in the shipping charges. ACTEX Learning reserves the right to adjust shipping charges at the time of order processing to reflect actual shipping cost. Customers will be contacted if changes to shipping charges are anticipated.
- UPS cannot deliver to a PO Box, Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) address.
All Other International Orders
- Standard shipping via UPS Worldwide Express Saver (delivery in 2-5 business days) including customs clearance (broker fees).
- Please note that duties and taxes are not included in the shipping charges, and are the responsibility of the consignee.
If an international package is returned due to refusal of delivery (including non-payment of fees), the customer will be held responsible for the return shipping charges to ACTEX and may include additional penalties. Refused orders are not considered returns and may not be refunded.